It is that time of the year when your raincoat and gumboots move closer to the garden door.
April still has beautiful and pleasantly sunny garden days to prepare your garden for the colder months. This is your last chance to plant, fertilise and prepare for winter.
PROVIDING COLOUR NOW:
- Your favourite pansies and violas that will provide months of colour right up until Christmas.
- Allysum, lobelias, coleus,impatients, sweetpeas, aloes & strelitizias
VEGETABLES TO PLANT NOW:
- Broad beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, peas, beetroot, winter variety lettuce, spring onion, and spinach These can be planted in containers. View our selection of wooden herb planters online.
Variety available to shop here
SHRUBS TO PLANT NOW:
It is also a good time to plant new hedges now. Popular options include Buxus, Abelia, Duranta, Camelia, Freylinia, Viburnum & Nandina. Also Citrus, conifers, all deciduous trees, azaleas, camelias and climbersShop Shrubs here
FEED, TREAT & MULCH:
Trim lavender for spring flowering, ensuring that you do not cut into hardwood
- Trim hydrangeas, salvias, buddleja and euphorbias - again not cutting into the hardwood
- In May divide strappy-leaved plants such as agapanthus, clivias and liriopes if they look messy. This is a good time to dig them up, divide them and replant them
- To buy: Lasher Secateurs
- Add Pine mulch to beds to reduce the weed growth and keep the soil warmer.
- Treat the soil around your hydrangeas (Christmas roses) now if you want to change their colour. Buy Wonder Shake ‘n Grow Blue Hydrangea Food and Wonder Shake ‘n Grow Pink Hydrangea Food:
- Feed acid-loving plants such as Hydrangeas, Azaleas and Camellias with Colourburst Azalea & Camellias
- Feed your citrus trees with Bio Ocean
To conveniently shop your plants, tools, pots and all garden related items online, visit our website at www.capegardenonline.co.za
You can either collect your order or have us deliver it to your door.
Cape Town & Surroundings | South Africa | Online Plantshop